One of the disruptions occurring in the IoT industry is the availability of affordable single board computers. The most popular of these is the Raspberry Pi (RPi). Originally designed for educational usage, over 60% of RPi is now sold into enterprise applications, according to the Pi Foundation. RPi has sold more than 25 million units, and continues to find its way into new applications.
Raspbian is a free operating system based on Debian and optimized for the Raspberry Pi hardware. It is widely considered the best OS for Raspberry Pi 3.
The UrsaLeo Gateway Package for Raspbian consists of a simple software package that can be installed on a new or existing RPi with Raspbian installed to connect the RPi and sensors to the UrsaLeo Cloud.
The UrsaLeo Gateway Package for Raspbian contains:
- UrsaLeo messaging communications (based on MQTT)
- UrsaLeo secure device provisioning
- UrsaLeo demo application (reads and publishes sensor data to the cloud)
To assemble a Raspbian starter kit you need:
1. Raspberry Pi 3B, 3B+ or the new Pi 4
2. Silicon Labs Thunderboard Sense 2 which includes temperature, humidity, pressure, air quality, light strength and orientation sensors along with a microphone or a Bosch Sensortec BME280 I2C breakout board which has temperature, pressure and humidity. Other BLE and I2C sensor boards can be supported with a little effort.
3. UrsaLeo Gateway Package for Raspbian
4. (Optional): UrsaLeo LED debug board*
Once installed you will be able to gather data into the Google based UrsaLeo cloud, store it, display on dashboards and download for further analysis. Coming soon is the events / alerts engine to allow emails, text and webhooks to be generated by incoming data.
See our Getting Started page for instructions on installing the UrsaLeo Gateway Package for Raspbian.
*Enter a promotion code during account creation for a free LED board